Tuesday 28 June 2011

Sunfish Dagger-Board & Rudder Refinish Job


This weekend I refinished my Sunfish Dagger-Board and Rudder. They had a pretty decent existing finish, and to tell you the truth, I was too lazy to strip them all the way down to bare wood. I didn’t want to end up putting 8-10 coats of varnish on the boards. I sanded them with my palm sander. First with 120, then with 80 (ran out of 120). Then I applied some wood putty, let dry, and then sanded again with 220. Then I wiped them down with paint thinner and a tack cloth. Here are pictures of the boards with 2 coats of varnish. I plan to put a 3rd coat on tonight.

1 comment:

  1. nice! My sons and I are fixing up my husband's sunfish as a surprise for his birthday. He got it brand new in 1978! I am going to have to so this as well. Good tips. :-)

    ReplyDelete