Tuesday 10 May 2011

Progress - slow but sure!

My original list, might have to be added too. Once you start this process new items tend to pop up. Especially if you are a little obsessive like me. New items to add:

12) Sand and re-varnish rudder, center board.
13) Install aluminum style tiller extension
14) Add quick release adjustment bolt (racing style) to goose neck

Progress:

Spend the better part of the week wet sanding the deck with 2000 grit sandpaper, and a rubber block. The 2000 grit is no longer that hard to find. They now stock this paper in the detailing section of our local tire store.

For the deck paint removal, I purchased and used all of my 600 grit paper. This took a long time to sand and remove the existing paint. In the end, I ran out of paper and had to switch to some 400 grit paper that I previously purchased. Ensure that the paper you purchase, is the wet or dry type.

The paint job was matched well, however over time the sun had faded it to a greenish color. It looks like the deck was painted to cover a small spot where the previous owner had sanded through the gel coat, or spilt some chemical that had eaten through. I plan to re-gel coat this area, and match the color (as best I can). Let me clarify, that I have no experience restoring old boats. I am reading the instructions, and searching the web for advice. Thanks to all who have helped me so far in this process! Thanks to my wife for being so understanding!

I removed the old coaming. It had seen better days. Thankfully the older style coamings were screwed to the deck, and not riveted like the newer models. It came off easy enough. I lightly sanded down the coaming. I also filled some cracks in the coaming, with an old epoxy stick that I had from 5 years ago. The spray paint I used was Krylon Fusion that I got from my local tire store. I will let you know how durable the stuff is by the end of the summer! I didn't do the best job, so I will have to lightly sand some hardened drips of paint on the coaming. Might have to shoot it again with the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment