Monday 11 July 2011

Sunfish Hull Sanded & Waxed - New Mast Cap & Mast Cleat

After about a week of wet-sanding (1 hour here, 1 hour there), I was finally finished. Although it took a long time the results were great! I finished by cleaning off the hull, and then using 3M cleaner and wax to protect. Below are before and after pictures.






Another problem I encountered was that my old style mast cap had an eye-bolt and block, in order to hoist the main-sheet. The bolt seemed a little loose and after attempting to tighten the lock-nut, the bolt broke in half in my hands. I tried to find a replacement at the local hardware store but the loads listed on the bolts at the hardware store wouldn't be able to handle the rigors of day to day sailing. So I decided to install the new version of the mast-cap with the fair-lead molded into the cap. I used 3M 4200 sealant, and a rivet gun. I also decided to install a cleat on the mast for the main-sheet. See photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment