Wednesday 27 July 2011

Sunfish Mainsheet Boom Blocks, Mast End Cap, Boom End Caps





Over the weekend, I decided to get all of my rigging issues sorted out. My original Sunfish booms came without end caps, and without boom blocks. I found a set of old boom blocks and old boom end caps on the web, but decided it wasn't worth it. My original mast came with a top cap that had a block attached (old-style). The block was attached via an eye-bolt that was through-bolted. I noticed the bolt was loose and when I tried to tighten it, the old bolt broke in half in my hands. I wasn't going to buy 40 year old blocks attached to eye-bolts that might break. So I decided to upgrade. I eventually went with Harken Bullet Blocks (not class legal), because they were readily available at my local shop. Originally the booms had one hole drilled for the through-bolted eye-bolts. I used this original hole and drilled an additional hole at each location. Then I riveted on an eye-strap. I attached the blocks. The other open hole on the other side of the boom, I riveted and filled with 3M 4200. I also replaced the interlocking eye-bolts that hold the booms together. They looked like they were coming apart after years of use. In addition, I replaced the mast base cap which was cracked. I drilled two holes in the mast and attached the base cap via rivets. One thing I forgot to do, is put some 3M 4200 on the end cap. I had to gently mallet the new cap on, and once I realized my mistake, I tried to get the cap off. It wouldn't come off at all. Admitting defeat I drilled a small hole in the center of the cap for drainage.

No comments:

Post a Comment