Friday 22 July 2011

Sunfish Metal Bailer & Daggerboard Trunk Fix

OK so maybe I am a little OCD about my boat, but after spending countless hours restoring her, I couldn't stand looking at the eyesore that was my Sunfish bailer. It was heavily corroded and blackish in color. It just looked like it didn't fit with this newly compounded and waxed shiny Sunfish. In addition someone in my family gave me a rotary tool, so this was another excuse to try it out. I used a stainless steel wire brush wheel attachment, and polished the bailer on the hull, and inside the cockpit. Do not use a carbon steel wire brush attachment, or the fine metal left on the bailer will rust. I am satisfied with the results, it came out pretty shiny! I am lucky that all of the parts of my bailer are present and seem to be in better than average shape. The original bailer is made of cast aluminum, so I don't really see the need to convert it over to the plastic bailer. The only thing missing was the bailer ball, which I replaced. Take a look!






When I bought the boat, the ad said that it didn't have any leaks. When I peered into the dagger-board trunk, I could see small chips of gel-coat missing. There were only a few, and I thought better safe than sorry. Or better to fix them now, than to have a leak develop later. I got a small thing of marine epoxy at Home Depot for $5 and went to work. I still need to wet sand the areas, but over all the areas are pretty smooth, and shouldn't damage the dagger-board.

No comments:

Post a Comment